14 January 2011

Birmingham presents David Bentley



New loan signing David Bentley is in Birmingham's squad for Sunday's home derby against Aston Villa, while Lee Bowyer is available. Blues boss Alex McLeish swooped to sign the 26-year-old England international on a loan deal from Tottenham until the end of the season and is certain to pitch him into action against Villa at St Andrew's at some stage if not from the start of the second city tussle.

Bentley struggled for first-team football at Spurs, but he is looking forward to showing his abilities to Blues fans for the next few months. The former Blackburn star claims he has confidence in his capabilities as a player, but does not want that to be mistaken for arrogance.

He said: "I come from a working class background and I don't want people thinking I take this for granted. Sometimes I bounce around and stick a bucket over the gaffer's head! That's only because when I go into training in the morning I love it, you know."

As for the Villa clash, Bentley insists that he would be ready to play if McLeish calls on his services this weekend. He added: "I'm fine, I'm fit and strong. I personally think I'm the fittest I've ever been in my career."